Sunday, September 23, 2012

tales from the kasbah pt.1


After Gondar in Ethiopia I briefly returned to Addis to fly to Morocco.

Sniffing out good deals as I am wont to do, I discovered a cheap flight (by around $500ish) that went via Dubai and London. It also entailed a 24 hour stopover in London which was perfect as I needed to replace some worn out trekking gear. It also gave me a chance to catch up with my Aunt and Uncle who live there and who I hadn't seen in many years.

But hardly had my feet touched the ground than I was off again touching down in Fez in Morocco.

I am only here a couple of days as I will return to Fez in a week or so after seeing some of the south. I am staying in the Medina - the very oldest part of Fez, and have already ventured into its maze of alleyways.

Last night whilst looking for a restaurant I was dragged by a one armed Moroccan man through the labyrinthian laneways, up steep alleys and around a myriad of twists and turns to a secluded restaurant where he insisted I buy him tea! Morocco apparently is full of this behaviour. So I ordered him a tea and threw 10 dirham (about a dollar) on the table and left him to it.

Heading to Casablanca after breakfast.


fez souk


souk again


light


fez decoration


clock


door


fez window

No comments: