Monday, December 3, 2012

what a difference a day makes

Vilnius in Lithuania has a small old town and I had found a lovely little hostel on its periphery.

When I say little - in light of my Kiev post - I should mention my room was about 4 times the size of the previous one and came with a table and two chairs to sit at and a decent sized wardrobe and bedside table! I mention this so that you aren't sitting in front of your computers fretting about my sleeping arrangements!

Getting here is perhaps not worth the telling as it involves missing my first ever flight, frantic anxiety filled mad taxi drives, three seperate airport visits and hurling abuse at a disgusting Ukranian taxi driver!

Despite all that, the bizarre part of the entire saga is the fact that I ended up arriving in Vilnius earlier than I would have had I not missed my flight in the first place.

Even though Vilnius is the capital city, parts on the edge of the old town retain the feel of a small hamlet. (NOT a diminuitive Danish prince.)

It is a lovely little artsy place absolutely stuffed to the rafters with churches and remarkably well dressed beggars.


near my hostel


cold misty vilnius morning


morning wake up call?


vilnius street


wall art


cathedral


accidental poster art


st annes church


st annes again


gediminos tower


do trees get cold?


vilnius from castle tower


christmas tree freshly erected


one day to the next


snow falling

I had been wondering when I would first encounter snow falling on this trip.

It is a lot of fun wandering about in falling snow.

For about 20 minutes.

Then it is necessary to find a warm cafe and watch the snow from indoors while eating cake.

No comments: